Monday, September 8, 2014

E is for Elephant!

This week we learned that “E is for Elephant!" We celebrated Labor Day at the beach this week, so the letter “E” got a little short-changed. We did our daily activities Tuesday-Friday, and just skipped the food activity on Thursday. The lesson plan PDF is normal though (including a “playing with our food” activity), so our short week won’t mess you up! 

The resources we used this week were…

Songs:
'Dance with the Elephant' by Storybots

Videos:
ABCMouse.com 'The Letter E Song'
Storybots 'Everybody has an E'
Elephant YouTube Videos (We love this one of a baby elephant ribbon dancing, but there are tons on YouTube!)


Tuesday:

This week we got Elephant Families by Arthur Dorros, Elephant’s Story by Tracey Campbell Pearson, Eyewitness Books: Elephant by Ian Redman, and Elephants from Trunk to Tail by Lucy Sackett Smith. They were all non-fiction, except Elephant’s Story, so we learned lots about elephants this week. I love the Eyewitness Books – so much information and great pictures!

 photo Sadiesbackpack_e_zps7692102d.jpg

After reading through the new books and talking about this week’s letter, Sadie made a mosaic elephant for her alphabet book.

 photo DSC_3885_zpsf116c0b1.jpg

Wednesday:

On Wednesday Sadie created her own elephant with a party blower. While searching through elephant coloring pages, I found a finger puppet elephant on the Crayola website. I thought Sadie would have more fun using a party blower as a trunk, rather than her finger (plus, she has itty bitt fingers!). I found a pack of five party blowers for less than $1 at Walmart. They’re also available at Target and most dollar stores.

I printed the elephant picture for Sadie, and she colored it in different shades of pink to match the party blower/trunk.  As she was coloring I wrote out letter E’s in the white space around the elephant and she practiced saying the name and sound. She also had a lot of fun with elephant impressions!

When she was done coloring I cut the elephant out, including the hole in the middle. I stuck the party blower in the hole from the front so that only the rolled paper is sticking out of the elephant’s face.

 photo DSC_3771_zps0c8b4d7d.jpg

She has been obsessed with blowing the elephant’s trunk all week! 

 photo DSC_3785_zps3fce2a65.jpg

Thursday:

We made handprint elephants on Thursday. Super simple, and Sadie loves anything with paint. I did a handprint too, so we ended up with a mama and baby elephant. Once they were dry, I used a sharpie to add on elephant details like ears and tusks. I'm no artist, so they’re a little funky, but I think they turned out pretty cute anyway.

My handprint was a little bit of a fail, so I had to fix it with the paintbrush. I promise my fingers aren’t all crooked…

 photo DSC_3803_zpsaa7f116a.jpg

Friday:

There are detailed instructions on the lesson plan, but we had a little fun pretending to have elephant trunks on Friday. We read and talked about how elephants use their trunks, and then we grabbed some straws and pretended they were our trunks.  We blew bubbles and painted with our “trunks.”

Sadie required some guidance and practice with this activity since she’s used to sucking IN with her straws. I obviously didn’t want her to drink the paint. We practiced blowing out of the straw until I was confident I wouldn’t be needing poison control. Older kids won’t need as much direction!

 photo DSC_3839_zpsfcb394b1.jpg

Weekend Fun:

This weekend we went out of town for Sadie’s first amusement park adventure, so we didn’t do anything elephant related. If we stayed in town, we would’ve visited the elephants at the zoo.  The elephant exhibit is her favorite! 

Side note: I may have cried a little bit when I watched Sadie ride her first ride this weekend. I’ve become that mom. OMG, so proud of her for sitting on a cart moving 2mph! Don’t judge me – I’m judging myself enough for both of us.

 photo 10649639_10101617736884668_6140474875551148813_n_zpsb0ac78d4.jpg
An Instagram look at Sadie's first amusement park adventure!


----

Download the lesson plan HERE and enjoy!

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to use the comment section below or email me at janiewhitetaylor@gmail.com. I’d love to help you make the project work for your little one! 

Happy learning to you and your future nerds!

No comments:

Post a Comment